Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Competitive?

My one, entire goal for Diamond Girl was to finish, to actually cross the finish line and not be last. That was really my only goal and the whole reason I trained - I wanted to be able to say, "I AM A TRIATHLETE". However, now it's 3 days later and I've been thinking a lot about the race as a whole. All I can think is, "I could have done better. I could have beaten (fill in name here)." All of a sudden I'm competitive and annoyed at myself for just finishing and not kicking ass. Although hindsight is 20/20 and I'm not sure at the time I could have gone one second faster but I do know that next time, I'd like to try. I want to work hard on my run - they say, "all triathlons are won or lost in the run". I was pretty bummed when I heard that initially bc I knew I'd never be a fast runner but now I'm willing to give it a really good try. I know it can get better with some old-fashioned hard work and dedication. Of course, the bike and swim can always use enormous amount of improvement but the run is a disaster (and by run, I mean walk!). To quote my lovely teammate Tara, "you don't have to go fast, you just have to go - well, that was true before I was a triathlete. Now I want to go fast."!! Now I'm ready to get a move on, do my running drills, actually listen to what Andy says and even more - do the solo run workouts. Push hard, run fast, eye on the prize...

No comments:

Post a Comment