Friday, June 25, 2010

Best of 3...not so much.

Everytime I mention to someone that I'm training for a Triathlon they say, "which is your strongest or best event of the 3?". I've heard many people answer that question very quickly with something along the lines of:
-I went to college on a long distance track scholarship;
-I was the alternate on the 2000 Olympic swim team;
-I used to bike across the country for fun during the summers of college;

I've got nothing of the sort...I suppose I could say biking is my strength since I've been doing that the longest and by longest I mean one whole year. I just took my first swim lesson a few months ago and ran for the first time about a month ago. This fact scares the beJezzuzz out of me - everyone has one thing they can rely on...I got nothing.

There is ONE highlight to the fact that I do nothing well - I also don't do any of them "wrong". Most people run and swim inefficiently or incorrectly since they've been doing it for so long. Because I've done nothing I have no bad form to fix, no bad habits to overcome and am a blank slate to learn all 3 events perfectly...at least that what helps me sleep at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment